Construction Law

4 Types of Commercial Building Permits featured image

4 Types of Commercial Building Permits

It is illegal to perform construction work without a license in Florida. If you are not licensed and registered with the Construction Industry Licensing Board, you place yourself at risk for legal trouble. If you contract with someone who is unlicensed, your contract is not enforceable. As St. Petersburg construction lawyers, we want you to secure your business by obtaining the proper credentials. It’s important that you obtain the proper permits when performing commercial projects.

Types of Permits Required for Commercial Projects

The type of permit you will need depends on the type of project you will complete. The City of Tampa’s Construction Services Department provides a detailed list and an explanation of the various building permits required for commercial projects. Different cities/counties may have different permit requirements. When in doubt, always contact your local city department. Below we will share four types of commercial building permits. Involved in each will be an application, fee estimation, code services, plans review, and inspections.

1. Commercial Site New Construction

While in the design phase, the Commercial Site New Construction permit is used for those who will excavate, reinforce, and erect new buildings. Upon completion, contractors or owners must apply for the Phased Finish permit or the Interior Finish permit.

2. Roof Covering

A Roof Covering permit is required for the installation of a new roof. A roof structure application along with two sets of site and building plans, product approval, Owner’s Affidavit, and Notice of Commencement is required. An Express Permits Roofing permit is required for the re-roofing, repairing, or recovering of an existing roof.

3. Interior Remodel

For an interior model or finish, the Interior Remodel permit is required. Two sets of building plans, an Owner’s Affidavit, and a Notice of Commencement are required.

4. Change of Use

When someone new takes over a building for a different use, the new owner must apply for a Change of Use permits. The owner must supply two sets of floor plans and site plans, an Owner Affidavit, and Notice of Commencement.

To request a consultation with an experienced St. Petersburg construction attorney, please call us today at 813.579.3278 or submit our contact request form.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general educational information only. This information does not constitute legal advice, is not intended to constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as legal advice for your specific factual pattern or situation.