Employment Law

4 Ways to Protect Your Wage and Hour Rights featured image

4 Ways to Protect Your Wage and Hour Rights

The vast majority of Americans aren’t aware that their wage and hour rights are being violated. Billions of dollars are lost every year because employees don’t know federal and state employment laws. Whether your job status is being misclassified, you are forced to work unpaid overtime, or any of other violation, a Tampa wage and hour attorney is here to offer you valuable legal counsel.

In this article, we will discuss four ways employees can protect their employment rights if wage and hour laws are being violated at their workplace.

Keep Track of Your Records

Many employees fail to record their hours worked. Whether you want to write these hours down in a notepad or download an application for your smartphone, you should always log your hours into a timesheet even if your employer isn’t providing you with one. Furthermore, it’s important to have access to these records away from your office in case you are unexpectedly terminated from your position.

If you have any email records or documentation from your employer related to your wage and hour rights or job status (how your employer classifies your position, if you are considered exempt from overtime, or other policies), you should retain copies of these documents for legal purposes.

Contact Your Employer

There is always a chance that your employer isn’t aware that they are violating the law. If your employer hasn’t indicated anything to make you believe the violation is deliberate, it never hurts to see if you can resolve the issue without litigation. If you do decide to speak to your employer about unpaid compensation, it’s best to show your employer the exact amount you should be compensated and how you calculated that total. If your employment has a Human Resources (HR) department, you can file a formal complaint.

It’s also important to keep notes and records of these conversations. If your employer retaliates against you for making a complaint, speak with a Tampa wage and hour attorney.

Contact the Department of Labor

If you are curious to whether or not your job status is properly classified, you can always contact the Department of Labor (DOL) to find out more. You can also contact the the DOL’s office in your area to file a complaint. For employees wrongly classified as independent contractors, you can contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to clarify your status.

Contact an Attorney

If you believe that your wage and hour rights have been violated, contact an attorney today. An experienced lawyer will have knowledge of the wage and hour laws in your state and can assist you with filing a claim or navigating the litigation process.

If you would like to speak with one of our Tampa wage and hour attorneys, please contact us today.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general educational information only. This information does not constitute legal advice, is not intended to constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as legal advice for your specific factual pattern or situation.